Monday, October 14, 2013
By The Time You Finish Reading This I'll Be Dead
The book I chose to write this reading response on is, "By The Time You Finish Reading This I'll Be Dead" written by June Ann Peters. It is about a fifteen year old girl named Daelyn Rice who suffers from bullying, and tried to kill herself many times. She is unable to speak because of a failed suicide attempt. A theme that I think this book has, is that bullying can really effect a person's life.
On page twenty five, an important quote from the book I found was, "It's so Oprah, but to feel better I ate away the pain. Then the pain ate me." This quote means that instead of Daelyn telling someone about the pain and hurt she is going through, she kept it to herself and decided to show no emotion. Sadly, when the bullying had gotten worse, it destroyed her. Not only on the outside, but on the inside as well. This is what led to her suicide attempts. In the book she tells the reader that at ten years old she was already trying to commit suicide.
Another example of how the theme in this book is that bullying can effect a person's life, is because Daelyn forces herself to not show any emotion to anything. This way when someone bullies her, they wouldn't be able to tell if what they are doing is effecting her, even though it is. On page 45, Daelyn thinks to herself, "He has a nice smile. No he doesn't." Here you could tell she is in-denial about how she feels about this boy. This is an example of how she is refusing to show her true feelings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment